zondag 6 februari 2011

Something special happens every day.


India. A bit strange, but I like it.

The last story I wrote happened already more than 3 weeks ago. As this is India, since then lots of things made me smile, were mildly annoying, left me in surprise, amazed me and made me think.

                Just too much to talk about…

And many of the things I want to share with you are too hard to explain for the moment. You have to be here to fully understand them and judge them by its true value without being prejudiced. Maybe I can explain them properly later on, when I’m back home, and have a chance to look back and reflect on the feelings, ideas, taste and atmosphere I’m experiencing now.
But for the moment, let me share some things that happened here to give you a small impression;
Monday afternoon, January 10th
Having lunch in an Indian coffee house with Daniela and 2 new roommates from Korea and Switzerland.
We are sharing a table with an Indian guy, no emotion on his face. He sees we are having trouble figuring out what all the things on the menu actually mean, so he explains everything to us and even helps us ordering. After finishing his own meal he stands up and says to us: “Don’t pay the bill”. “Why not?” we ask, with not even the slightest idea what he means by that. “I already paid for you”. No way! And then he left.
There’s no better way to say Welcome to India than that.
Tuesday afternoon, January 11th
Should have started my job the day before.
But AIESEC didn’t take care of it on time. No worries, this is India. Everything has a 3-days delay. Here, Indian Standard Time is also called Indian Stretchable Time. Still, my orange clockwork is taking control over me and I decide to look for the school, while jogging with my girls, leaving a lot of Indian people amazed with surprise on this very sunny day. After asking lots of people where the address actually is (not as easy as in Europe), we finally find Woodsbury School.
“Sir Dennis, we were expecting you”. I make an appointment to meet the principal the day after and happily walk back to our crappy trainee house. On our way we pass a Sikh temple where they are celebrating the 10th Guru’s birthday. So…let’s take a look!
Rule number 1; take off your shoes and socks and cover your head. Then it is time to enter the temple and sit down, legs crossed, and pay respect to the guru/pray. Finished? Let’s have a free lunch with all the Sikh’s and when you need more chepati (sort of a small pancake), just fold your hands. I feel perfectly comfortable with all the Sikh customs, after the ‘golden’ experience in Amritsar. Such a pleasant feeling when you start to feel experienced with a new culture, when you start to feel ‘at home’.
We were the talk of the temple.
Wednesday morning, January 12th
Appointment with the principal of Woodsbury; my new employer.
After a warm welcome of all the Madams (the entire staff is called Madam), Madam Principal gave me my job description; teaching 2 and 3 year olds. Ouch! That’s not what AIESEC promised me! They were supposed to be some years older so that I could actually communicate with them and teach them English. Fuck.
Thursday Morning, January 13th
The children still have holidays, extended because of the cold winter. Me and my co-teacher (Madam) are preparing the lesson material for the coming week. Preparing means writing down nursery rhymes and doing crafts. From graduating at Tilburg University at the top of my class to cutting colored paper somewhere in India. Nice one Dennis.
In the evening I had some pork in a non-Indian restaurant. Sooooo good! Except for some chicken once in a while, I’ve become quite the vegetarian. Not by free will though.
Friday evening (and night), January 14th
Nice gathering in our house with a few people, representing every continent. Ended up in a type of rock club with a DJ and a drummer who both had a different view on rhythm. Horrible combination. Closed off the night back home with my favorite drinking game; Mex!
Saturday morning, January 15th
Rat in mi Kitchen is a nice UB40 song. But not when you actually have a rat in your kitchen! Malick, my roommate representing Senegal, saw a huge mouse, Tsjernobyl huge. So I think it’s a rat…
The idea of having a rat crawling around made us clean the kitchen like never before. We came across a lot of mouse/rat droppings in a few cabinets which haven’t been used so far. Now we know why they are not being used. Damn that was nasty.
In the evening we had a big party in our house, almost all the foreign trainees of Chandigarh at the time were here to drink and dance. So many different nationalities and cultures in one room but everyone is your friend within a matter of seconds. It would be nice to invite some of our world leaders to these kind of parties and show them how people should treat each other. Don’t you think?
Sunday afternoon, January 16th
All day long we have new people moving into the house. We start the day with 6, lose 2 of them, and get around 10 new ones in return (from China, Russia, France, Taiwan and Brazil). They are all accompanied by their AIESEC traineeship managers. I think I’ve met about 20 new people in just a few hours, all asking where you are from and more standard questions like that. Stop! This is too much! I need a break. Like India this house is too crowded…
What better way to get rid of the stress than a Bollywood movie! Yamla Pagla Deewana was my first experience with this phenomenon in which of course dance and song plays a big part. But that’s not the only difference with watching a ‘western’ movie back home… People in the cinema were cheering and clapping when the lead characters appeared, when these made funny Punjabi remarks or during unreal over-the-top fighting scenes. No need to be silent during the movie, nobody was! Other minor differences were: the men in the movie were constantly crying instead of the woman, there was no kissing to be shown while the opportunity was there several times, the movie lasted for 3 hours and people left the theatre a minute before the movie actually ended. Although I didn’t understand much of what was said due to the lack of English subtitles, it was a great experience.
Monday morning, January 17th
First day with the kids at kindergarten. They are 2 and 3 years old. Staring at me, afraid of this big white stranger. I have to do prayers, sing and do little dances. Not feeling comfortable. Can only communicate with them by gesture and facial expression. Why am I here again?
Tuesday afternoon, January 18th
Sort of a mental breakdown. I tell the principal, after the same shitty day as Monday, that I’m not happy with this. It’s not their fault; it’s just that the AIESEC organization here in Chandigarh was not entirely honest about the job description. I want to teach older children, children who can actually understand what I’m saying. After the mental breakdown I decide pretty quickly that I can turn it into a positive thing. Let’s look for a second job for in the afternoon, something that suits my qualities better! For that I need to undertake action. And although I’m used to being smart, pretty and modest, I’m not very good in taking initiative. So this should be a good exercise.

In the evening something terrible happens. The Internet, one of our primary needs to survive and equally important to water and electricity, disappears! At the time we think it’s only temporary. But now I know better… Total panic in the house! Thanks a lot, AIESEC Chandigarh.
Wednesday morning, January 19th
The kids are getting used to me. Some sitting on my lap, some calling me uncle. They start to talk a lot to me, no idea what they’re saying though. Damn language barrier.
Thursday afternoon, January 20th
I went to the Chandigarh hockey stadium to ask if I can play some hockey there. I would never forgive myself if I don’t try to play my favorite game in India, where hockey is the official national sport (although cricket is way more popular). I got to talk with the sports administrator and one of the trainers of the Academy situated there. He is an ex-player and –coach of the Indian national team. The sports administrator is not sure if it will be possible to play there but when the trainer hears I’m from Holland there is no problem whatsoever. Yes, at times, being Dutch has some nice perks.
Friday afternoon, January 21th 
After buying the necessary hockey equipment (stick, shoes, shin pads and ball), for about 55 euro’s (that’s about 1 hockey shoe in Holland), I went again to the stadium. Started to play a bit on the practice field outside the stadium, where some small children were also performing their tricks. After showing my rusty moves some of them came up to me; “What’s your name?” “And should we call you uncle or brother?”. So brother Dennis played a little match with these kids. Fuck, they’re already so good! They’re not playing in the stadium though because that’s only for the people who have the money to join the Academy. Such a shame, they are really, really good!

Taking initiative pays off. I found an extra job! I had a talk with the principal of the Banyan Tree School, a primary/secondary school almost next to the place where I live. It’s only for one hour a day after my kindergarten activities, but listen to this; I will teach spoken English to the teachers(!) there. Walking back home after hearing the good news, I was very excited. Not nervous at all, just very excited.  “Why am I not nervous? Did I already change that much?” I start to smile.

In the evening there was this wedding party going on in the open space between the apartment buildings where we live. Oh man, how I wish to be one of the people eating and dancing there! They played a lot of Punjabi music so we started to dance a bit of Bhangra on the balcony. Some people noticed us and a girl who knows Daniela thought we were very funny so she invited us! Woohoo!
Although the party was almost at its end, we put on our fancy clothes and entered the party. We were seated at a special table. About 7 waiters/cooks surrounded us and made sure we got the most amazing, delicious North Indian meal. Although we just had dinner it was too good to refuse. Even while being filmed by a camera crew, I had no trouble finishing this great meal. I love Indian food!
Saturday afternoon, January 22nd
Sunday afternoon, January 23rd
We played football. Dutch, Russian, French combination vs. Senegalese, Indian, Taiwanese combination. No Spanish opponent so we won.
Monday , January 24th
You remembered me saying it was very cold here in Chandigarh? Well, things changed. During the nights it’s still quite chilly but during the day it’s like Dutch summer! And we’re still in January… incredible!
Still no internet though. It has been almost a week now since we lost the connection. Apparently AIESEC didn’t pay the bill. It’s getting pretty annoying because I want to use it in order to prepare my classes and to contact the people back home. Besides, I cannot post any stories on my blog now. This one is getting too long!


Maybe you notice that I'm not very positive about the local AIESEC here. There are a lot of nice people in that organization, don't get me wrong. And they want us to have a good time. But as an organization they fail tremendously. Their goal of trying to bring as much people to Chandigarh as possible should be drastically altered to a policy with a stronger focus on the quality of internships and quality of living. They do not take us seriously as they keep on promising things that eventually won't be realized. Letting people sleep in the living room where they do not have a single centimeter of privacy, where they can only sleep when the last person goes to bed and are woken up by the first one who is having his breakfast in the kitchen is unacceptable. At one point, the maids stopped coming. The maids are poor children who probably have to do these kind of jobs to support their family. Why did they stop coming? AIESEC didn't pay them for the last 6 months. Unacceptable.

Tuesday afternoon, January 25th
First lecture to the teachers of Banyan Tree School. I arrive in a class with around 20 female teachers (some have their children with them) and one guy. My first true teaching experience. It was very fulfilling! This was the professional experience I was looking for when I came to India. Still can’t believe I just taught a class of adult people. And I think I was actually pretty damn good for a beginner. I was confident. Now I need to make the teachers more confident in speaking English. That is going to be my main goal for the next month.

Seeing more of India is my other main goal.

...
...
...
“Without new experiences, something inside of us sleeps.  The sleeper must awaken.”
- Frank Herbert -

1 opmerking:

  1. Hoi Dennis
    Fijn om weer wat van je te "horen". Ik snap nu waarom het zo lang duurde! Zo zie je maar wat we zijn zonder internet!
    Wat een mooie verhalen, jammer dat het zo gelopen is met de school. Ik kan me voorstellen hoe teleurstellend dit was, want nee..... daarvoor ga je toch niet naar India. Wel goed dat je het initiatief genomen hebt om er iets anders bij te zoeken en fijn dat dit ook zo goed uitpakt. Compliment!
    Ik kan me inderdaad voorstellen dat je ervaringen opdoet die heel moeilijk te beschrijven zijn. Ik merk het aan Roel, als hij skypt dan vertelt hij zoveeeeeeel, dat kan absoluut niet op papier!
    Ik hoop dat je blijft genieten van alles wat je doet (ook de kleine kindjes op school) en weet dat ik je avonturen met veel plezier blijf volgen.
    lieve groetjes van Hanny

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen